Monday, December 05, 2005

just another manic monday.

tell me again, why don't i have a graphic design degree?
God, i'm waiting.

something must have happened while i was in art school that busted up that sensible part of me that used to think about the future. man, if i had only learned all of the Adobe programs, and Quark. i mean, i know why i decided not to go into it...decided to paint and create instead of sell someone elses products with design...decided to take pride in what i produced instead of making something purely commercial. but jeeze, if only i had stayed with that, i might have a "real" job right now instead of selling clothes. and honestly, part of me still wants that. part of me.

i want to scream...I HAVE A DEGREE.

i know all these decisions are for a reason. God was in them and took me through them. i graduated, went to kenya...but right now? somewhere i lost the desire. i hate that i can't think of (or maybe admit to) one place i'd want to be in a year because i'm too scared that i'll screw it up. what to pursue? God. how do i do that where i'm at right now? Art? Design? Ministry? Missions?

God, i'm waiting.
and trying to be thankful for it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Design Ministry said...

Hi, you dont' know me but we have a lot in common so I'd thought I'd post. I'm a bit in the opposite boat, I'm a graphic designer for a mission organization, and I'm wondering if I should have gone the fine art route in school. I was always so focused on design and passionate about it - then God opened doors and my heart to use it for him. After a year out of school, I took a drawing class this fall where I am in Southern Spain and fell in love with charcol again - not expensive pens designers tote around. I was remembering how to draw without heavy outlines to make things graphically pop off the page - but to indicate light and depth.

I'm rambabling, I'm sorry - it's just God has us exactly where we are meant to be with the heart he's given us. I think the grass can be greener, and you are perhaps more wise than you know. Trust God and yourself - and take one day at a time.

-Kristin (my blog: www.avmi.org/designministry)

12/09/2005 6:30 PM

 
Blogger Bugaj said...

Ewalt-
I chose the sensible route, or so I thought, getting a degree in economics and political science instead of illustration/graphics, and that degree is now essentially worthless to me. I just got dumped from my job selling crap for people on ebay because they went out of business. what do you do when all this happens? not much. i'm just trying to find things to enjoy and regroup. sad lives, these useless degree people lead.

1/12/2006 5:09 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home